Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Fall


We have been discussing how art is what all poets aspire to and I have found a movie that encapsulates this. Yesterday I watched Tarsem Singh's 'The Fall' and I honestly believe that it is the most beautiful film I have ever seen. It was like a fairytale, a story within a story and if you would have stopped it at any moment you would have been able to print it out and put it on your wall. The vibrant colors, outfits and set all worked together to make a beautiful image in each shot. It told the story of a young girl stuck in a hospital with a broken arm. Exploring one day she found a very sick young man, who was very bitter about the world. He began to tell her a story about two brothers in a distant land. One brother is killed, leaving the other and his band of thieves angry and with a vendetta against Odious, the man who killed him. The story goes on, mixing reality and fiction until the end when you realize that nothing was as it seemed, the people, the story and the man telling it. Although it had one of the saddest twists I've ever seen, it was so beautiful that I can't wait to watch it again and again.

No comments: